James B. Martini

Gentleman Spy : B-Boy : Rebel Scum

Name:
Location: New York City

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Balls!!

"Brit Makes Early Exit at Wiimbledon"

I mean, it's a very familiar headline - just one letter off.

Here's what happened. My first round draw was for 11am. Stoli and I were among the very first people there, and after much last minute kerfuffling and lots of other games starting I was told that I had a first round bye. Which was nice, except it meant I didn't get to play (/minor lower lip extrusion). Finally I'm called up and play one 3-game set against a stocky 30-ish geezer in a soccer shirt. I know, right? Weird. Anyway I win the toss and elect to receive, coz I gotz a wickeed cross-court return that is itself almost unreturnable.

I take the first three points, 0-40. I think he got one to make it 15-40 but my return was working and I won the game.
Next up I serve. Couldn't get the speed-serve to come up, not matter what I did. Goes to deuce, I get an Ad and a match point... but lost it, arse. Then he wins the game.
So game 3, my return is slightly rattled. The crowd is, well, crowding. We exchange points, goes to deuce. He gets 3 match points in a row, and I make it through each of them. But alas, not the fourth.



We stuck around for a while, but I have to admit to a mild gutting. Who wouldn't be? Still, a very silly day out indeed, and perhaps even a piece of gaming history. Have a look at the press coverage it got. Tips of headbands to Steve and Lane.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home